Ed Dartley is a partner in the firm’s New York office where he is a member of the Investment Management, Hedge Funds and Alternative Investments practice group. Mr. Dartley concentrates his practice on all facets of the asset management industry, with particular focuses on the alternative investment asset classes, private equity, and venture capital funds, and managed accounts, as well as regulatory, compliance and operational matters, compliance audits, and internal governance. He advises numerous emerging and middle market private equity clients and other alternative asset managers on a wide range of issues facing the industry today.
Mr. Dartley also focuses his practice on advising energy-focused alternative asset managers and companies on a wide variety of matters, and has worked with industry players in both the traditional and alternative energy industries. In addition, he has extensive experience advising clients in the fintech and marketplace lending (peer to-peer) industries.
With over a decade of experience as in-house counsel and chief compliance officer with an asset management group of registered investment advisers and private equity fund managers, Mr. Dartley has deep in-house experience and a unique perspective on how asset management works from the inside. Mr. Dartley continues to utilize this experience by serving as general counsel to a number of clients of the firm.
Mr. Dartley also is a founding member of the Bloomberg Alternative Marketing Council, an advisory board founded by Bloomberg to define best practices in marketing for the alternatives industry.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Dartley was a partner in the New York office of a national law firm. Prior to that, he was counsel and chief compliance officer with a registered investment advisor with several billion dollars under management.
- Serve as outside general counsel to a $1 billion renewable energy private equity fund, advising on a wide variety of management company, fund, and transactional matters.
- Serve as outside general counsel to a private equity fund that seeds new private equity, real estate and other alternative asset managers, advising on all aspects of fund formation and structuring, seeding transactions, compliance, and other matters.
- Serve as outside general counsel to a private equity fund administrator, advising on fund administration, contractual, corporate transactional, and compliance matters.
- Serve as outside general counsel to a marketplace lending (peer-to-peer) investment manager.
- Serve as outside general counsel to a merchant cash advance investment fund.
- Serve as U.S. counsel to a European private equity/real estate fund administrator.