Matthew Eisenberg has more than 28 years of experience advising investment management industry participants including:
- Investment managers
- Investment funds (hedge funds, private equity funds, futures funds, funds of funds)
- Family offices
- Pension plans
- Other institutional investors
- Placement agents.
Eisenberg has significant expertise advising as to legal, regulatory and business matters, including: formation and structuring, registration and licensing; compliance policies and procedures; separately managed accounts; special purposes investment vehicles; seed investments; counterparty and service provider arrangements’ marketing and distribution practices; joint ventures and other strategic transactions; legal due diligence review of fund offering documents’ and regulatory examinations and investigations.
- Structuring and formation of investment managers, family offices and placement agents
- Structuring and formation of private investment funds – including hedge funds, private equity funds, futures funds, funds of funds, special purpose investment vehicles – employing a broad range of investment strategies and structures.
- Advising investment managers (including single and multi-family offices) and placement agents regarding investment adviser, broker-dealer, commodity pool operator, commodity trading adviser, state (“blue sky”) and other registration and compliance matters.
- Advising family offices, funds of funds and other institutional investors regarding seed, founder and strategic investments and allocations – through investment fund investments, “funds of one” and separately managed accounts.
- Legal, compliance and “market” review of hedge fund, private equity fund, venture capital fund and other investment fund offering and organizational documents and terms for family offices, funds of funds, pension plans and other investors.
- Advising investment managers, family offices and placement agents regarding various operational matters including: hiring, retention, compensation and supervision of employees and other personnel; development and implementation of compliance policies and procedures; and service provider and counterparty arrangements.
- Advising investment managers regarding strategic transactions and arrangements – including joint ventures, equity and asset sales, mergers and acquisitions, exit strategies and succession matters.
- Advising investment managers and placement agents regarding marketing and distribution practices and arrangements, and related operational, regulatory and compliance matters.
Eisenberg earned his law degree from NYU School of Law. After law school, he joined Rogers & Wells in 1990. In 1993, he joined the law firm of Winthrop, Stimson Putnam & Roberts. From 1996 to 2007, he was co-founder and partner at an investment management-focused law firm based in Fairfield County, CT. From 2007 to the present, he has been a partner at Finn Dixon & Herling, and a senior member of its investment management, investment funds and family office practice areas.